The Prospect Heritage Trust Inc.
Rev T Sharpe
© Prospect Heritage Trust Inc.
Rev Thomas Sharpe officiated at St Bartholomew’s for a period during Rev. Troughton’s incumbency (1841 – 1847).
Rev Sharpe had been at Norfolk Island between 1839 and 1840.
He was the Rector of the Parish of All Saints, Bathurst. The Rectory he built in 1845 for his family is now the house known as ‘Miss Traill’s House’.
The Reverend travelled around the surrounding district by horse and buggy.
The 1863 Australian Almanac, in Ecclesiastical Lists, page 116, lists Rev. Thomas Sharpe, MA at Bathurst, Diocese of Sydney.
He also preached at the Church of St John the Evangelist, Hartley
Blacktown DHS The Turrett June 2007
1841 Rev Thomas Sharpe arrived as second Rector of All Saints and acquired a grant for allotments in Russell St where he built a 3 bay bungalow of red brick with a shingled roof and verandahs on 3 sides. There was a formal garden, a stable block and horse paddock. Rev Sharpe and his wife both died in 1877 and the house was inherited by their 2 sons.
The house was sold to William McLean, a local builder who gave it a federation style make over, it was sold again in 1923 to a local grazier Robert Gilmore. He rented the house to a widow, Gertrude Traill.
The house was left to the National Trust