The Prospect Heritage Trust Inc.


Rev W W Simpson M A


© Prospect Heritage Trust Inc.

Rev. William West Simpson M A (1795-1869) along with Rev. Bobart, provided services at St Bartholomew’s from when the Church opened on 14 April, 1841, until Rev Troughton became the Incumbent in December 1841.


Before coming to Australia he was Ordained in 1840 in England and had been head of a large school in Hackney He had written a learned work on the Constitutiones Societatis Jesus, anno 1550.

Rev Simpson was the Headmaster at the Kings School, Parramatta from 1841 until 1843. During this period he encountered financial difficulties when a serious epidemic struck the school and caused a scare.

In 1843 he was the incumbent at Cornelia near Sackville, then he was at the Hawkesbury  between 1844 and 1846, and finally at Dapto between 1852 and 1869, where he died at the parsonage in 1869
Ref William Gunther 'A short history of the Kings School


The 1863 Australian Almanac, page 117, lists Rev. Simpson as being at Dapto in the Diocese  of Sydney.

http://books.google.com/books?id=yRAOAAAAYAAJ&printsec=toc#PPA116,M1