The Prospect Heritage Trust Inc.
This building is the earliest recorded premises used as a Police Station at Prospect. The weatherboard cottage is located on the Former Great Western Highway, Prospect (now known as Reservoir Road).
The land is now owned by the Western Sydney Parkland Trust and is part of the land they have leased to Village Roadshow, who have built Wet’n’Wild on the site. The lease conditions were that the Former Police Residence was to be restored by Village Roadshow, but there has been no evidence of work starting on that restoration.
An inspection of the exterior of the building suggests that it is of c.1870s -
Source: NSW State Heritage Inventory Form
Charles Beattie rented it to the Police Department from 1 March, 1915 to June, 1920 at a cost of 15 shillings per week. Beattie joined the NSW Police as a Probationary Constable on 7 November, 1887 and retired as a 1st Class Constable in 1915. He and his family then moved to ‘Drumtochty’, Seven Hills Road, Seven Hills where he became an orchardist.
Constable J. Constable was the next policeman appointed to Prospect and he would have operated from this building.
Source: Prospect Heritage Trust files
Special thank you to Mr. J. Brook for information passed on to PHT.
© Prospect Heritage Trust Inc.
Former Police Residence (19 March 2008) -