The Prospect Heritage Trust Inc.
A Police Station was established at Prospect in 1883. It formed part of the Eastern Police District which had its headquarters at Belmore Barracks in Sydney. The Police Department archives have no record of the identity of the Constable at Prospect in 1883.
The earliest recorded premises used as a Police Station at Prospect are a weatherboard cottage which was located at Western Rd., Prospect (now known as Reservoir Road).
It was rented from Charles Beattie from 1 March, 1915 to June, 1920. It was leased to the Police at a cost of 15 shillings per week. These premises were on land that was part of the Flushcombe estate that had been purchased by James Manning of the Royal Cricketer’s Arms in1879 and re-
Charles Beattie joined the NSW Police as a Probationary Constable on 17 November, 1887. He was later promoted to 1st Class Constable and he retired on that rank in 1915. He was succeeded at Prospect by a Constable J. Constable.
Between 1 October, 1926 and 11 April, 1928, a weatherboard cottage in Girraween Road was rented by Police as a Station Office. The building was leased from a Mr. George Harvey of Waverley.
From 12 April, 1928 to 29 January, 1934 a brick cottage on Ponds Road was leased as a Police Station. Mr. Brown of Eastwood was the lessor.
© Prospect Heritage Trust Inc.